Analogue Renaissance AR80017A - Replacement Upgrade for Roland 80017A Voice Filter/VCA Chip
- The new highly improved version of Roland's 80017A Chip. Direct drop in replacement.
- For use in Juno 106, GR-700, MKS-7 and MKS-30
- Far more stable, robust, and will last a lifetime. Unlike the originals.
- We have another listing for a single piece, or please ask if you'd like larger quantities.
Please contact us with any questions, and be sure to check our other listings for more synthesisers, spare parts, and pro audio gear.
See below for info from Analogue Renaissance:
This is a perfect clone of A1QH80017A IC better known as 80017A used in the Roland JUNO-106,HS-60,GR-700 and MKS-30.
The previous version, D80017, has been in production since May 2006 and is in use by people and service centers all over the world now. During it's lifespan it saw no less than 7 revisions (about a new verion every 4 months). Since the first version it sounded identically to the original chips. No one is able to hear a difference. But every time I saw something that could be improved, I changed it until it reached something close to perfection.
Due to the fact that the PCB library I designed to cope with the problems of lead-free solder alloys is also very beneficial for lead-solder joints, I decided to also use it for this voice chip clone.
For this I had to redraw the whole thing from scratch and thus I took the time to evaluate all previous versions and their measurement data from the test procedure I did on each one. This because the type of parts used remained almost the same throughout all versions, but I did switch between manufacturers from time to time. Although all of them were within specifications, some are a lot closer on target than others. Now I order each part from the manufacturer who's test results were the most uniform for that part.
The previous version had one weak spot: The output of the VCA had no short circuit protection. This was not an issue during operation, but when doing the adjustment procedure you could destroy them by shorting 2 testpoints. And as we all know: A slip of the probe happens even to the most experienced from time to time. For this new version the output is fully protected.
- Better than the original.
- Sounds exactly the same as the original. I'm very serious about this and I'm well aware that I am the only one that claims this. This is not without a reason. No one is able to hear nor measure any difference with the original chips.
- Functions exactly the same as the original. No nonsense, just do what is said in the Roland JUNO-106 service manual.
- Designed and built to the highest standard (take a look at the high-res images below to see for yourself).
- All integrated components are in mass-production by more than one manufacturer and have been available for at least a decade. Thus have a proven reliability and are easy obtainable(in the very unlikely event of failure).
- Used discretes are close tolerance and high quality
- Not dipped in resin. (the black plastic goo in which the original ones and other clones are encapsulated). The original ones were dipped in it for protection due to the ultra thin pcb tracks and the printed resistors. My clones do not need this because the quality of the pcb's is of the highest that exists and has real resistors instead of thin carbon printed on plastic. The only reason I can come up with why the other (poor) clones are dipped in it, is because the manufacturers of these are afraid of somebody copying their designs. I won't like that either, but I prefer providing something that has possibility to last for ever. I want all components to be accessible for replacement. (if ever necessary in the far future) As said before: they are mass products and easy to obtain.
- Very high quality PCB: Still uses HASL SnPb finish and SnPb soldering. Which is still the most reliable assembly method. RoHS compliance is not required here as this is a part to repair old non-RoHS equipment.
- PCB pads are optimized for liquid solder.
- All tested prior to shipping: I built a small bed-of-needle tester which does both an electrical test (To see if it doesn't load the power supply and input signals too much), a functional test (to check if everything works as it should work) and a parametrical test (to see if everything is within defined tolerance level). Pictures of this test are below.
- 5 years limited warranty: I know there is some discussion going on on some mailing lists and synthesizer fora on the subject if my clones will last longer than the original ones. I'm proud of the quality I make and I'm certain they will last a long time. So 5 years warranty. This warranty is for ones that die with no apparent reason. Not for ones that you blow up driving a truck over it, feeding it to the dog,...you get my point here
- Do not take my word for it. Do some internet searching and read what other people have to tell about these clones.
Standard postage within Australia is free. We have tried to estimate express postage, however if you are in a remote area you may incur extra fees.
International import tax, duty, vat, custom fees or any other charges are not covered by us, nor included in the shipping fees. These are the responsibility of the buyer.
We do not accept returns for incorrect purchase or change of mind.
Returns will only be accepted for manufacture defects / faulty items. Please contact us if you have any problems with your purchase and we will strive to work it out with you.