This classic beast uses analogue synthesis to create its sounds and eventually become the signature beatbox used in most R&B and hip-hop as well as a lot of dance and techno music. Booming bass kicks, crispy snares and a distinctive cowbell sound made famous in the 1980's are all part of the 808 and its famous sound!
Its 16 drum sounds include the famous boomy 808 kick, snare, low/mid/high toms, low/mid/high congas, rimshot, claves, hand clap, maracas, cowbell, cymbal, open hi-hat, closed hi-hat and accent. Most of the sounds can be edited. Bass Drum and Cymbal (tone, decay), Snare (tone, snappy), Toms and Congas (tuning), Open Hat (decay). All sounds have individual volume controls and individual outputs.
Its unique sound and analogue allure has allowed it to find a long-lasting home in many forms of music. Ultimately, the 808 has become one of the more important and famous drum machines in the history of music.
Notable users of the 808 are Aphex Twin, 808 State, Kevin Parker, Daft Punk, The Prodigy, Faithless, Jimi Tenor, Dr. Dre, Jimmy Edgar, Freddy Fresh, Richie Hawtin, Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre, Marvin Gaye, Luke Vibert, LL Cool J, Ice Cube, the Beastie Boys, Nick Rhodes, Puff Daddy, Prince, Kanye West, Jamie XX, Moby, Herbie Hancock, Air, RZA, Liam Howlett and too many more!
This particular 808 has a custom chrome look faceplate which gives us sort of Egyptian Lover vibes (Have you seen his custom units?). This may make it difficult to use for those unfamiliar with the machine. However, we're sure you'd be able to work it out! Other options would be to get it restored by a professional. We have used Audio Custom in Poland before who are very good! A more affordable option would be to buy a vinyl sticker to put over the chrome to get a more original look. Message us if you need the links to these.
- This is a used unit.
- This shows some general wear from use and age like some marks, nicks and scratches. One knob is no as bright orange anymore. It has a custom chrome look faceplate which has been mentioned above and can be seen in the photos. The battery cover is not orignal. Overall there is nothing major. Please see all photos.
- This TR-808 is fully functional. It has no faults to note.
- This unit will ship with a deck saver. It has been used, but is still in great condition for protecting your new 808!
- The TR-808 uses AA batteries to hold memory / patterns. These batteries are not included in the sale. Please ensure to set a yearly reminded to change your batteries so that your new drum machine is not subject to any battery leak. Ensure to take the batteries out if you put it into storage.
- This unit is a factory 240V model! This means it is ready to plug and play within Australia and New Zealand!
International buyers will need a step-up transformer to use this unit. Please get in touch before purchase if you are unsure about this.
This sale is for the TR-808 and Deck Saver only. Nothing else is included in this sale.
International import tax, duty, vat, custom fees or any other charges are not covered by us, nor included in the shipping fees. These are the responsibility of the buyer.
Returns will only be accepted for manufacture defects / faulty items. Please contact us if you have any problems with your purchase and we will strive to work it out with you.
Please contact us with any enquiries and check our other listings for more pro audio and accessories.